As part of our #SelfCareSeries, Registered Nutritionist and Women’s Health & Wellbeing Expert, Le’Nise Brothers from Eat Love Move, has given us an easy-to-follow, hormone-friendly recipe for you to try.
This recipe is perfect to have whilst you are on your period. The chickpeas are high in iron, which helps to replace the iron lost through your bleed. They also contain phytoestrogens, helping raise your oestrogen levels. This is beneficial as your oestrogen levels will be at their lowest at the beginning of your period.
If you want to watch Le’Nise cook this recipe and follow along with her, head over to our Instagram.
Middle Eastern Chickpeas, Broccoli and Spinach
Serves 3-4, Prep and Cook Time: 25 Minutes
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, finely diced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 x 400g cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 handfuls baby spinach
1 medium broccoli, roughly chopped
coriander, 2 tsp
cumin, 2 tsp
3 tbsp natural yoghurt
1/2 lemon, juiced
hot sauce (optional)
1. Heat a pan (I love using a cast iron pan) to medium. When it’s hot, add the olive oil. When the olive oil is hot and sizzling, add the onion and 3 of the diced cloves of garlic and season with a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp each cumin and coriander. Turn the heat down and let them soften for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the broccoli, 1/2 tsp each cumin and coriander and another pinch of salt. Stir and let cook for 3-4 minutes or until the broccoli starts to soften.
3. Before you add in the chickpeas, make sure there’s no leftover liquid. I usually drain the chickpeas into a strainer, rinse them in the strainer and then leave the strainer in the sink so that all the liquid completely drains out.
4. Add the spinach and stir so the spinach is fully mixed in. This will cook quickly.
5. Add the chickpeas, 2 pinches of salt, 1 tsp each cumin and coriander. Stir and let cook for 5 minutes so the chickpeas soften and the flavours blend. Taste and add more seasoning as needed.
6. While this is cooking, mix the yoghurt with the rest of the garlic, the lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
7. Serve with the yoghurt sauce and hot sauce (optional) on top of the chickpea mixture and enjoy!
We Hope you enjoy this recipe! Let us know in the comments below if you try it or over on our Instagram.